A- A A+
English Spanish
Upcoming Public Meetings COVID-19 Resources
Join the I/DD Statewide Hybrid Townhall to hear updates on the state I/DD budget, 1915i Medicaid, Medicaid Expansion, and more.
Join us for the NCCDD 2023 Self-Advocacy Discussion Series!
Learn About Our Five Public Policy Priorities!
Introducing the My Story Matters  -  A story collection campaign.
Highlights & Hot Topics! Latest Issue Now Available in English, Audio, Spanish version coming soon!

NCCDD COVID 19 Mini Grant Map4The NC Council on Developmental Disabilities (NCCDD) voted to invest $75,000 to a relief fund for one-time, time-limited projects to assist in filling gaps in services or activities that people with intellectual or other developmental disabilities (I/DD) are experiencing due to the COVID-19 pandemic earlier this spring. 

We heard from many great and worthy organizations across North Carolina, and were proud to support 31 organizations with funding as they navigate the COVID-19 crisis. We are excited to share their stories and will be adding more as we get them. 

Thank you to all who applied and are working on behalf of North Carolina's disability community.

• GHA Autism Supports Movie Night

GHA Autism Supports Movie Night

• GHA Autism Supports Exercise Bike

GHA Autism Supports Exercise Bike

• Ralph Scott Life Services Baking

Ralph Scott Life Services Baking

• Ralph Scott Life Services Painting

Ralph Scott Life Services Painting

• Diversified Industries Nutrition Packet

Diversified Industries Nutrition Packet

• Tri County Industries Snacks

Tri County Industries Snacks

• Ralph Scott Life Services Finished Product

Ralph Scott Life Services Finished Product

• Johnston County Industries Supplies

Johnston County Industries Supplies

• Johnston County Industries Care Packets

Johnston County Industries Care Packets

• Diversified Industries Exercise Packet

Diversified Industries Exercise Packet

• Ralph Scott Life Services Jewelry

Ralph Scott Life Services Jewelry

• Alleghany Group Homes Projects

Alleghany Group Homes Projects

• WalkinRoll Activities League Shirt Recipients

WalkinRoll Activities League Shirt Recipients

• Tri County Industries Healthy Snacks

Tri County Industries Healthy Snacks

• WalkinRoll Activities League T-Ball shirts

WalkinRoll Activities League T-Ball shirts

• Alleghany Group Homes Games

Alleghany Group Homes Games

• Diversified Industries Outdoor Safety Packet

Diversified Industries Outdoor Safety Packet

• Johnston County Industries Deliveries

Johnston County Industries Deliveries

• Ralph Scott Life Services Baking Supplies

Ralph Scott Life Services Baking Supplies

• Catawba Valley BH Arts Projects

Catawba Valley BH Arts Projects

• Catawba Valley BH Crafts

Catawba Valley BH Crafts

• Tri County Industries Personal Supplies

Tri County Industries Personal Supplies

• GHA Autism Supports Activities

GHA Autism Supports Activities

• WalkinRoll Activities League Shirt Pickup

WalkinRoll Activities League Shirt Pickup

• Ralph Scott Life Services Art Supplies

Ralph Scott Life Services Art Supplies

• The Arc of Union  Cabarrus Co Party

The Arc of Union Cabarrus Co Party

• Ralph Scott Life Services Painted Grape

Ralph Scott Life Services Painted Grape

• Ralph Scott Life Services Pizza Making

Ralph Scott Life Services Pizza Making

• The Arc of Union  Cabarrus Co Care Packages

The Arc of Union Cabarrus Co Care Packages

• Diversified Industries Earth Day Packet

Diversified Industries Earth Day Packet

• Alleghany Group Homes Artwork

Alleghany Group Homes Artwork

• KidsPeace Foster Care Projects

KidsPeace Foster Care Projects

• Diversified Industries Superheros Packet

Diversified Industries Superheros Packet

• Alleghany Group Homes Finished Work

Alleghany Group Homes Finished Work

• Catawba Valley BH Singalong

Catawba Valley BH Singalong

• KidsPeace Foster Care Games

KidsPeace Foster Care Games

• KidsPeace Foster Care Supplies

KidsPeace Foster Care Supplies

• Ralph Scott Life Services Scrapbooking

Ralph Scott Life Services Scrapbooking

• Alleghany Group Homes Activities

Alleghany Group Homes Activities

• Diversified Industries Hygiene Packet

Diversified Industries Hygiene Packet

• Ralph Scott Life Services Pizza

Ralph Scott Life Services Pizza

• Catawba Valley BH Karaoke

Catawba Valley BH Karaoke

• Ralph Scott Life Services Artwork

Ralph Scott Life Services Artwork

• Tri County Industries Deliveries

Tri County Industries Deliveries

COVID-19 Mini-Grant Stories

More stories will be added to this page to share the impact of the COVID-19 mini grant.

THE ARC OF UNION/CABARRUS, Monroe

The Arc of Union/Cabarrus recently received a $3,500 mini-grant from NCCDD, part of its $75,000 relief fund created to fill gaps in services and activities that people with intellectual and other developmental disabilities (I/DD) are experiencing during this time of Covid-19. The Arc is using the funds to create 120 care packages to address stress reduction, community engagement, mental and physical relief for the members of their five self-advocate groups. Among the care package items are journals, puzzle books, supplies to make a no-sew mask, as well as paper, markers, envelopes & stamps to create cards for healthcare workers. Members were able to participate in the same activities on their own as they would have during their group gatherings and share with their peers through photos & videos posted on the Arc’s social media sites and in group emails. Members, using a joint assignment calendar, will do similar activities at the same time, such as Grateful Tuesday – write/draw/record something you are grateful for and Friday Night Game Night.

TRI COUNTY INDUSTRIES, INC., Rocky Mount

Tri County Industries, Inc. (TCI) will assist their long-term Adult Developmental Vocational Program participants during this time of Covid-19 stay at home orders by delivering nutritional bagged lunches, workbooks and other learning materials, personal hygiene kits, exercise items, headphones and more. These supplies are made possible through a $3,340 grant as part of the North Carolina Council on Developmental Disabilities’ relief fund to fill gaps in services and activities that people with intellectual and other developmental disabilities (I/DD) are experiencing during the coronavirus isolation. TCI’s Vocational Program serves 62 individuals with intellectual and other developmental disabilities (I/DD) in Nash and Edgecombe counties. With the items purchased for TCI’s clients, the expected outcome is a drop in problematic behaviors, anxiety, and isolation by providing comfort, reassurance, and confidence. All items will be purchased locally and delivered by TCI’s staff to their clients.

KIDSPEACE, Fayetteville

As schools remain closed and many adults work remotely from home, many are seeking ways to keep children occupied and engaged during the day. KidsPeace in Fayetteville works with children in foster care and their families. The organization sought funds for items to promote problem solving, S.T.E.M. based activities, sensory and interactive play, and other anxiety-relieving supplies. The goal for the items was to enhance the ability for the KidsPeace youth to be calmer and more creative while having fun. KidsPeace received a grant of $1,070 from the North Carolina Council on Developmental Disabilities (NCCDD). The money comes from their relief fund to fill gaps in services and activities that people with intellectual and other developmental disabilities (I/DD) are experiencing during the Corona virus stay at home order. It is anticipated these much-needed resources and activities will result in a decrease in emotional and behavioral issues while providing stabilization along with an increase in attention and focus on healthy activities to stimulate the mind and occupy their time.

ALLEGHENY GROUP HOMES, INC., Sparta

Working to support adults with developmental disabilities so they can live successfully in their chosen communities is the focus of Allegheny Group Homes, Inc. Clients attend Allegheny’s day programs five times a week, so the Covid-19 isolation order has temporarily stopped those programs and stifled the individuals’ socialization. With a $1,080 grant from North Carolina Council on Developmental Disabilities’ relief fund that is filling gaps in services and activities that people with intellectual and other developmental disabilities (I/DD) are missing out on during this time of social distancing, Allegheny is providing for their clients. The funds will be used for food, weighted blankets, gas cards, games and movies. The goal is to provide stress relief and comfort for the clients as well as encourage peer engagement while isolated at home. The items will be distributed among the nine clients currently residing together.

WALKIN’ROLL ACTIVITIES LEAGUE, INC., Hildebran

Walkin’Roll Activities League will use funds from North Carolina Council on Developmental Disabilities’ (NCCDD) relief fund to purchase t-ball shirts for over 150 individuals with developmental disabilities, ages two to 80, coaches and volunteers for their annual t-ball league games postponed due to the COVID-19 virus. During normal times, t-ball games occur every Saturday in the summer for eight to 10 weeks with over 100 participants. The NCCDD mini grant of $1,422 will be used to help toward the purchase of the t-ball shirts the players have been looking forward to wear with pride until they can get together to play again!

JOHNSTON COUNTY INDUSTRIES, INC., Selma

According to Johnston County Industries, Inc.(JCI) in Selma, because of COVID-19, people with intellectual or other developmental disabilities (I/DD) in day programs and innovations services are isolated and not getting the opportunity to engage in social activities. Many are at home or inside facilities that will not allow them to leave. These individuals are experiencing high anxiety levels and are isolated from their families, community, and friends. Many families are not used to their loved ones being home seven days a week and do not have adequate food or supplies to keep the individual engaged in a meaningful day. These individuals are also not experienced in virtual learning or social platforms that will enable them to communicate with their friends and/or families. To remedy these issues for their clients, JCI applied for and received one of the mini-grants in the amount of $3,498 from the North Carolina Council on Disabilities to help fill the gaps in services and activities that people with intellectual and other developmental disabilities (I/DD) are missing out on during this time of social distancing. With the money provided JCI plans to secure food, sanitation/cleaning supplies, crafts, educational materials etc. to aid in anxiety reduction and provide activities and supplies during this coronavirus time. JCI will also develop an instructional guideline and help those individuals with I/DD learn to use a virtual platform at home to enable social engagement with friends and family. JCI provides services to individuals with I/DD in Johnston, Harnett, Sampson, Lee, Duplin and Wayne counties and will use the funds to help approximately 220 individuals.

DIVERSIFIED OPPORTUNITIES INC., Wilson

Diversified Opportunities Inc. (DOI) has played a role in supporting individuals with intellectual and other developmental disabilities (I/DD) since 1975. Their clients depend on programs for interaction, socialization, and learning. Social interaction for these participants improves both physical health including boosting the immune system and reduces mental health issues such as depression, anxiety etc. DOI applied for and received a mini-grant from the North Carolina Council on Developmental Disabilities (NCCDD) to assist them in achieving their goal of helping individuals with I/DD during this time of COVID-19. DOI plans to use their $3,500 mini-grant funds to enhance their services’ delivery by focusing on program staff implementing enhanced web-based and telephonic services and also to create, assemble and mail at home activity and resource packets to their program participants. With weekly access to virtual and telephonic presentations and outreach, these 56 individuals will receive socialization and case support by DOI to include discussion and review of the activity packets. Regular check-ins and ongoing communication with individuals and their families will allow for safety and wellbeing to be verified.

CATAWBA VALLEY BEHAVIORAL HEALTHCARE, Hickory

When the North Carolina Council on Developmental Disabilities (NCCDD) offered their mini-grants to agencies throughout the state assisting people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (I/DD) during this challenging time of COVID-19, Catawba Valley Behavioral Healthcare (CVBH) of Hickory was quick to respond. With tight budgets and the cessation of day programs and activities at group homes canceled due to the coronavirus, CVBH strategized how best to help their participants to reduce feelings of isolation and anxiety. To assist their 23 home residents, CVBH sought funding for Wii or PlayStation gaming systems to use to promote physical and social activity among the residents. Their goal, with the use of the gaming systems, is to see increases in verbal behavior, physical exercise, socialization with other group home residents and with staff members. In addition, the $3,200 award will be used to purchase a variety of arts and crafts items as well as indoor and outdoor games to help residents stay busy and reduce stress over social distancing. Each group home resident will have access to these items, with staff support and assistance as necessary, at least daily.

GHA AUTISM SUPPORTS, Albemarle

“The COVID-19 crisis has forced us to deviate from what is the “normal” for all of the individuals that we support,” explained GHA Autism Supports in their application to the North Carolina Council on Developmental Disabilities (NCCDD) mini-grant program. The funds were made available to fill gaps in services and activities that people with intellectual and other developmental disabilities (I/DD) are experiencing during the coronavirus isolation. GHA Autism Supports currently serves nearly 100 individuals with a primary diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder in programs providing residential, vocational, educational, community and in-home services. With the COVID-19 crisis, their residents are safe at home but GHA is in need of additional activities and sensory items to engage them from a sensory standpoint. The $3,500 from NCCDD funds will go towards recumbent bikes, puzzles, ball sets, sensory LED light projectors, bingo sets and adaptive frisbees to be used so these clients can learn to overcome their sensory challenges, work on their gross and fine motor skills, have fun or just have some quiet time. By allowing their clients to independently explore sensory activities, they can learn to calm themselves and self-regulate their emotions.

R.I.S.E. PEER SOLUTIONS, LLC, Roxboro

R.I.S.E. Peer Solutions, LLC of Roxboro received a $3,500 mini-grant from the North Carolina Council on Developmental Disabilities (NCCDD), part of their $75,000 relief fund created to fill gaps in services and activities that people with intellectual and other developmental disabilities (I/DD) are experiencing during this time of Covid-19. The ongoing isolation due to the coronavirus meant difficulties in serving R.I.S.E. clients with I/DD face to face. Many of them are unable to process information provided through various mediums. R.I.S.E.’s plan for the grant funds is to purchase writing materials for those clients who are able to complete written WRAPs (Wellness Recovery Action Plans) as well as daily journals. Puzzles and games will help with time during isolation. Hygiene supplies will be provided for all members of the families. In addition, grocery gift cards will assist clients in meeting their daily living needs. For those traveling to and from medical and therapeutic appointments, they will receive gas cards. The remaining funds will be used to purchase Narcan for clients unable to be safely monitored during the pandemic.

Recent Posts

Joomla Templates and Joomla Extensions by JoomVision.Com
April 2024 Highlights and Hot Topics

Message from the Executive Director Public Policy Update (as of…

Joomla Templates and Joomla Extensions by JoomVision.Com

Upcoming Events

25 Apr
Discovery Place Kids-Huntersville
Date Thursday, April 25, 2024 – 1:00 pm - 4:30 pm
27 Apr
2024 Special Olympics Southeast U.S. Swimming
Saturday, April 27, 2024 – 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
27 Apr
ASNC Wake Parents of Teens with Autism Group
Saturday, April 27, 2024 – 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm
1 May
NC Council on Developmental Disabilities Meeting - May 2024
Wednesday, May 1, 2024 – - Friday, May 3, 2024 –

North Carolina Council on Developmental Disabilities

Office Hours: 9AM-4PM Monday-Friday
3109 POPLARWOOD COURT, SUITE 105,
RALEIGH, NC 27604

1-800-357-6916 (Toll Free)
984-920-8200 (Office/TTY)
984-920-8201 (Fax)

This project was supported, in part by grant number 2001NCSCDD-02, from the U.S. Administration for Community Living, Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, D.C. 20201. Grantees undertaking projects with government sponsorship are encouraged to express freely their findings and conclusions. Points of view or opinions do not, therefore, necessarily represent official ACL policy.

Invalid Input