A- A A+
English Spanish
Upcoming Public Meetings COVID-19 Resources
Join the I/DD Statewide Hybrid Townhall to hear updates on the state I/DD budget, 1915i Medicaid, Medicaid Expansion, and more.
Join us for the NCCDD 2023 Self-Advocacy Discussion Series!
Learn About Our Five Public Policy Priorities!
Introducing the My Story Matters  -  A story collection campaign.
Highlights & Hot Topics! Latest Issue Now Available in English, Audio, Spanish version coming soon!

Governor Pat McCrory declared March as Developmental Disabilities Awareness Month in North Carolina. Read the text of the the proclamation here:

Developmental Disability Awareness Month March 2016

WHEREAS, Public Law 99 - 483, enacted by Congress in 1987, designated the month of March as "National Developmental Disabilities Awareness Month"; and

WHEREAS, approximately 185,000 residents of North Carolina have intellectual or other developmental disabilities; and

WHEREAS, North Carolinians are becoming increasingly aware that developmental disabilities do not keep individuals from realizing their full potential at school, work, home, or as members of their communities; and

WHEREAS, developmental disabilities awareness encourages people to understand that when people with disabilities are welcomed into local neighborhoods, houses of worship and schools, and are expected to work and have careers, everyone wins; and

WHEREAS, the most effective way to change the attitudes and beliefs about the abilities of individuals with developmental disabilities is through everyone's work and active participation in community activities and the openness to learn and acknowledge each individual's contribution; and

WHEREAS, opportunities for citizens with developmental disabilities to function as independently and productively as possible must be fostered in all areas of our state and local communities, including public and private sectors; and

WHEREAS, all citizens should promote both the expectations and opportunities for individuals with developmental disabilities to participate fully in our community that include access to integrated employment, education, housing and civic engagement;

NOW, THEREFORE, I, PAT McCRORY, Governor of the State of North Carolina, do hereby proclaim March 2016, as "DEVELOPMENTAL DISABILITIES AWARENESS MONTH" in North Carolina, and commend its observance to all citizens.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and affixed the Great Seal of the State of North Carolina at the Capitol in Raleigh this sixteenth day of February in the year of our Lord two thousand and sixteen, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and fortieth.

PAT McCRORY
Governor

Recent Posts

Joomla Templates and Joomla Extensions by JoomVision.Com
April 2024 Highlights and Hot Topics

Message from the Executive Director Public Policy Update (as of…

Joomla Templates and Joomla Extensions by JoomVision.Com

Upcoming Events

27 Apr
2024 Special Olympics Southeast U.S. Swimming
Date Saturday, April 27, 2024 – 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
27 Apr
ASNC Wake Parents of Teens with Autism Group
Saturday, April 27, 2024 – 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm
1 May
NC Council on Developmental Disabilities Meeting - May 2024
Wednesday, May 1, 2024 – - Friday, May 3, 2024 –
2 May
Cook Together
Thursday, May 2, 2024 – 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm

North Carolina Council on Developmental Disabilities

Office Hours: 9AM-4PM Monday-Friday
3109 POPLARWOOD COURT, SUITE 105,
RALEIGH, NC 27604

1-800-357-6916 (Toll Free)
984-920-8200 (Office/TTY)
984-920-8201 (Fax)

This project was supported, in part by grant number 2001NCSCDD-02, from the U.S. Administration for Community Living, Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, D.C. 20201. Grantees undertaking projects with government sponsorship are encouraged to express freely their findings and conclusions. Points of view or opinions do not, therefore, necessarily represent official ACL policy.

Invalid Input