A- A A+
English Spanish
Upcoming Public Meetings COVID-19 Resources

September 2015: Highlights and Hot Topics

highlightsCHRIS' SECTION

The direct support workforce makes a tremendous difference in the lives of millions of Americans with disabilities. Also known as direct care workers, in-home support workers, personal assistants and personal attendants, chances are you know a direct support professional (DSP) and we ask that you take a moment to thank a DSP this week – and every week, for that matter!

On Sept. 13-19 we celebrate Direct Support Professionals and we thank them for their hard work and dedication for the essential supports they provide.

DSPs use their skills and knowledge to help support individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities in so many ways that impact a person's life goals. Whether assisting with transportation, food preparation, classroom education needs, and other career and daily affairs, DSPs are often the key to opening the doors to an inclusive world for people with I/DD. A DSP often forms a deep and trusted relationship with the person they are supporting and family members.

To support this important work, NCCDD currently funds two initiatives to support these professionals with the goal of establishing state and local chapters of Direct Support Professionals to advance the skills and recognition of those who make up this workforce. Benchmarks, Inc. manages the North Carolina Association of Direct Support Professionals (NCADSP) initiative. Also, NCCDD is supporting a North Carolina chapter of the Developmental Disabilities Nurses Association (DDNA), under the Medical Health Homes Initiative, managed by Easter Seals, Inc.

In closing, I would also like to highlight two awards given annually, in November by the NCCDD. The Jack B. Hefner Memorial Award recognizes family members and self-advocates willing to do whatever it takes to enhance quality of life for those with disabilities. The Helen C. "Holly" Riddle Distinguished Service Award recognizes a professional in the field who has made a lasting contribution toward improving opportunities, breaking down barriers and promoting increased quality of life for those with I/DD.

Please consider nominating someone you you know and who is deserving of either of these awards! http://nccdd.org/the-council/hefner-riddle-awards.html

TAKING INITIATIVE: Supporting Siblings Initiative

First In Families of North Carolina (FIFNC) continues its efforts to support adult siblings in North Carolina by partnering with the National Sibling Leadership Network (SLN) and through funding by the North Carolina Council on Developmental Disabilities (NCCDD).

Through this collaboration, FIFNC continues to connect, inform and nurture a group of sibling leaders. It works to implement promising practices in sibling support such as access to adult sibling support groups, peer to peer mentorship, and information, as well as resources and training for future planning and advocacy.

Through its work, FIFNC continues to seek adult siblings of people with intellectual/developmental disabilities to lead and advise us in the creation of the network in North Carolina.

If you would like to find out about NC's Sibling Leadership Network please contact Bryce Coleman at [email protected] or 919-251-8368.

COUNCIL PERSON HIGHLIGHT: Cheryl Powell

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join us and the world will be as one." John Lennon's lyrics could be NCCDD member Cheryl Powell's mantra. She not only dreams, but is also working on helping people with I/DD become more unified as a group in order to achieve their inclusive goals. "It's easy to see that while we agree on many things in the I/DD community, we are fractured in our efforts," Powell believes.

Appointed to the Council in January, Powell is excited about the number of successful initiatives the current 5-year plan has produced. "It's impressive to see so many of the initiatives are truly making a real difference in the I/DD community," Powell says.

"The best part of being on the Council is having the opportunity to be a voice for people with disabilities and their families. The fact that I can speak up for those who seem to rarely be heard when it comes to their rights is an absolute honor for me and is something that I take very seriously," Powell adds.

Born with cerebral palsy, Powell basks in the love of family including her Uncle Danny who raised her after her mother passed away. Her "lucky in love" life also includes her husband, Billy. Together, they are raising their dog, Gaia.

Powell is a graduate of the University of NC at Wilmington (UNCW) with a bachelor in social work (BSW). She is also a QIDP (Qualified Intellectual Disabilities Professional) and a QDDP (Qualified Developmental Disabilities Professional).

Busy in life with church, shopping, reading, listening to music, and going to movies and concerts, Powell admits when no one is looking, to turning up her music really loud and singing at the top of her lungs!

Newsletter

Stay updated on news and events.

Get In Touch

Connect with the Council. We want to hear your questions, thoughts and comments.

Contact Us

North Carolina Council on Developmental Disabilities

Office Hours: 9AM-4PM Monday-Friday
3109 POPLARWOOD COURT, SUITE 105,
RALEIGH, NC 27604

1-800-357-6916 (Toll Free)
984-920-8200 (Office/TTY)
984-920-8201 (Fax)

This project was supported, in part by grant number 2001NCSCDD-02, from the U.S. Administration for Community Living, Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, D.C. 20201. Grantees undertaking projects with government sponsorship are encouraged to express freely their findings and conclusions. Points of view or opinions do not, therefore, necessarily represent official ACL policy.

Invalid Input